This year, according to the USDA, turkey supplies are steady although comparing prices from last year there has been a slight reduction in prices from some retailers.
Still many grocers will sell turkeys as a loss-leader item in the hopes that once you’re in the store you’ll make other purchases. In fact, some stores require you to make additional purchases of $20 to $50 in order to pay their lowest price per pound for turkey. Make sure you’re not overpaying for the additional purchase items as it may just be cheaper to pay “full price” for the turkey. Here are some more tips on how to maximize your savings while shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.
Below is a sampling of turkey prices. Many chains offer different prices for different regions, and these prices were gathered mostly in the Chicago area. Prices may vary by location. All prices are for frozen turkeys unless indicated as fresh. Some offers require an additional purchase in order to pay the lowest price per pound. Walmart and Chicago-based Jewel are offering a price match. Here are Walmart’s rules. Here are Jewel’s.
- Aldi: Butterballe 99 cents per pound. Honeysuckle White 99 cents per pound. Limit 2. bone-in turkey breast $1.39.
- Costco: Butterball $2.49 per pound. Call your local warehouse.
- Food4Less: Kroger brand $1.69 per pound or 37 cents per pound with additional $25 purchase, Butterball $2.19 per pound or 99 cents per pound with additional $25 purchase. Limit 1.
- Fred Meyer: Kroger $1.89 per pound or 47 cents per pound with additional $50 purchase, Butterball fresh $1.89 per pound, Foster Farms fresh $1.49 per pound.
- Jewel: Jennie-O 47 cents per pound with $25 additional purchase. Limit 1. Jewel‘ is offering a price match.
- Mariano’s: All prices require Mariano’s card. Jennie O 57 cents per pound with $20 additional purchase, Butterball 95 cents per pound, $1.75 per pound fresh Limit 1.
- Meijer: Meijer 38 cents with $30 additional $30 purchase. Butterball 98 cents with $30 additional $30 purchase. Limit 1.
- Peapod: Butterball 99 cents per pound; $2.49 fresh, Coastal Range fresh $3.49 per pound. Natures Promise fresh 99 cents per pound. Google for a new customer promo code.
- Piggly Wiggly: Both require $20 additional purchase. Butterball 89 cents and Jennie-O 67 cents per pound.
- Potash: Hoka Farm Fresh $2.99 per pound. Essential Everyday 79 cents per pound.
- Publix: Publix brand, 59 cents per pound, Butterball $1.09. Butterball Fresh $1.89 per pound. Limit 2. publix whole breast fresh $2.79 per pound.
- Ralph’s: Kroger 47 cents per pound with $20 additional purchase. Limit 1. Fresh Foster Farms $1.47 per pound.
- Safeway: All prices require Safeway card. Signature farms 39 cents per pound with $50 additional purchase. Jennie-O fresh $1.39 per pound.
- Sam’s Club: 99 cents per pound. Size and brand vary by club.
- Target: Butterball 99 cents per pound. Market Pantry 79 cents and Butterball 99 cents per pound. Get $10 bonus for $50 purchase.
- Trader Joe’s: Trader Joe’s All Natural, Brined, Fresh Young Turkeys $1.99 per pound, Fresh Kosher, All Natural, Fresh Young Turkeys $2.49 per pound. Fresh organic $3.99 per pound.
- Treasure Island: Norbest 39 cents per pound with $50 additional purchase. Limit 1. Hoka fresh $2.99 per pound. Barber fresh $2.99 per pound, Bell & Evans fresh $3.9 per pound. Fresh turkey breast $6.99 per pound.
- Walmart: Festive brand 68 cents per pound, Jennie-O 88 cents per pound, Butterball 98 per pounds. Walmart is offering a price match.
- Whole Foods: All are fresh. $2.49 per pound whole turkey and $3.49 per pound Whole Organic Turkeys. Prime members: $1.99 per pound whole fresh and $2.99 per pound Whole Organic Turkeys.
If you know the price at stores we haven’t listed, please help out your fellow readers and leave a comment.