We all do it. We didn’t stop doing it when we became senior citizens. In fact, some of us do it up to three times a day, every day, in the privacy of our own homes, with the lights on. It’s a basic human need, after all.
I’m talking about eating at home, of course.
The cost of groceries can take a big bite out of a senior’s budget, so why not take advantage of special discount days available only to older grocery shoppers? In 2010 and 2011 some popular grocery chains dropped senior discounts citing the downturn in the U.S. economy, but senior discount days continue at many stores. If you don’t see your store on our list, ask the manager — because some senior discount days are set by individual stores or by stores in a small region.
Here’s a look at current programs around the country:
- Bashas‘: If you’re a snowbird, you’re probably familiar with Bashas’ Supermarkets in Arizona. Register for a Thank You Card, Bashas’ customer loyalty card, at any of Bashas’ 130 stores and receive an additional 10% off purchases of $15 or more on the First Wednesday of every month. Show proof you’re 55 or older at the time of purchase.
- BI-LO: BI-LO and Super BI-LO grocery stores in South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia offer those 60 or older 5% off groceries every Wednesday. Sign up for a My BI-LO Bonus Card, BI-LO’s customer loyalty program and a Senior BONUSCARD.
- Bruno’s: Flash an ID that shows you’re at least 60 and receive 5% off groceries every Wednesday at Bruno’s Alabama stores.
- Foodland: Save 5% on groceries at Foodland, Sack N Save and Foodland Farms in Hawaii on Thursdays. Show proof you’re at least 60 at checkout.
- Fred Meyer: Shoppers 55 or older receive 10% off groceries the first Tuesday of the month at more than 100 Fred Meyer stores. Just tell the cashier you are eligible.
- Harris Teeter: Sign up for a VIC loyalty card at any Harris Teeter store in D.C., Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee or Virginia and, if you’re 60 or older, receive 5% off groceries every Thursday. Just tell the cashier at checkout.
- Pathmark: Pathmark’s East Coast stores offer a 5% discount on purchases of at least $30 to seniors 55 and older every Monday. Apply for a Pathmark Club Card and download a current Senior Appreciation Monday coupon each week.
- Super Fresh: Super Fresh stores in D.C., Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania offer 5% off purchases of at least $30 to seniors 55 and older every Tuesday. Apply for a Super Fresh Club Card and download a current Senior Appreciation Tuesday coupon each week.
- Uncle Giuseppe’s Marketplace: Sign up for a Rewards Card at an Uncle Giuseppe’s Marketplace store in New York State and get 5% off groceries every Wednesday when you tell the cashier you are 65 or older.
- Wesselman’s Supermarket: Wesselman’s Indiana supermarkets offer a 10% discount on purchases of at least $10 to seniors 60 and older every Tuesday. Download a Senior Discount coupon from the website.
Do you know of other senior discount days at grocery chains? Leave a comment with the details, and we’ll add them to our list.