The last thing you want to end up with after a barbecue is food poisoning. As this short YouTube video on Safe Summer Grilling by the USDA reminds us, it’s important to pay extra attention to food safety during summer when the weather is warmer. Here is a list of downloadable, free food safety fact sheets for grilling and other summer activities.
- Fighting Food Poisoning: One of the Most Important Things You Can Do
- Follow these four simple steps to keep your family safe from food poisoning at home
- Podcast: Foodborne Illness Rises in Warmer Months (USDA). Foodborne illnesses increase in warmer weather; how to avoid becoming ill. Listen to the podcast or read the script.
Summer Food Safety
- Grilling Food Safety 101
- Podcast: Barbecue and Grilling (USDA). Tips for handling, preparing and cooking meat and poultry when barbecuing and grilling. Listen to the podcast or read the script.
- Handling Food Safely on the Road
- Podcast: Food Safety When Cooking Out (USDA), Tips for safe food handling at cookouts in warm weather. Listen to the podcast or read the script.
- Food Safety While Hiking, Camping & Boating
- Podcast: Food Safety and Boating (USDA). Two friends plan a boating/fishing trip and talk about food safety. Listen to the podcast or read the script.
Where to Get More Help
- Have food safety questions? Ask Karen! is your guide to expert knowledge on handling and storing food safely (available 24/7). On your mobile phone access m.askkaren.gov.
- Follow USDA Food Safety on Twitter: twitter.com/usdafoodsafety
- Become a Facebook fan of FoodSafety.gov to keep updated on food safety information.