With the cost of ski full-day lift tickets reaching $100 at many resorts, frugal families may find skiing too expensive this year. But instead of skipping the slopes all season, try these simple ideas to save big on lift tickets.
- FREE Lift Tickets with Geigerrig Pack Purchase. When you purchase a Geigerrig you receive a free Skullcandy High Adventure Pass that includes lift tickets to ski resorts across North America (no purchase required), two FREE oil changes, BOGO lift tickets and FREE summer mountain biking passes. The Geigerrig is an affordable, innovative hydration pack with a unique pressurized bladder that is worth the money even if it didn’t include this valuable passport.
- Ski for half price with same-day boarding pass at Alta or Snowbird. Fly to to Salt Lake City and ski at Alta or Snowbird the same day for half price with the new Boarding Pass program. Register online to convert your airline boarding pass into a half-price AltaSnowbird lift ticket. Offer valid within 24 hours of arrival, Monday through Friday during the 2013/14 winter season.
- Buy lift tickets on daily deal sites like Groupon. Right now you can purchase lift tickets for two to Utah’s Solitude Resort for 50% off using this site, but other resort ticket offers pop up often. Just search the area you plan to ski for offers.
- Deeply discounted tickets on Liftopia.com. Know when and where you plan to ski? Head to Liftopia.com and buy your tickets in advance for up to 90% off regular price. Liftopia sells discounted, date-specific lift tickets, rentals and lessons to more than 150 resorts in North America. You must buy in advance for the date you plan to ski, so purchase early if you are planning to go over a holiday.
- Buy your tickets in advance at local ski shops, Costco or REI. Most local ski shops offer discounted lift tickets when buying at the shop, but search online to find area-specific deals. For Utahns, Canyon Sports and AJ Motion Sports offer great discounts. REI and Costco members can purchase discounted tickets in stores, but you will need to check with a local store to find out which resorts are available.
- BOGO FREE Lift Tickets with Shell Fuel Purchase. Skiers in California, Colorado, Michigan, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon and Washington can receive a BOGO voucher for participating ski resorts with the purchase of 10 gallons of gasoline or more at Shell stations. The 2014 info is not posted yet, but visit skifreedeals.com for dates and details for this promotion.
- Discounted tickets for new skiers during January’s Learn to Ski or Snowboard Month. 2014 program details are not yet available, but this month brings great beginner packages that include lift tickets, rentals, and lessons at a minimal cost so newbies can get interested in snowsports. This program is offered at resorts nationwide. Check for updated details here.
- Kids 6 and under ski FREE! In Utah, Brighton, Canyons, Eagle Point, Park City Mountain Resort, Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, Snowbird, and Solitude allow kiddos under 6 to ski FREE with a paying adult. Sundance allows kids 5 and under the same deal. Check with resorts in your area for their policies on kids skiing for free.
- $25 Lift Tickets at Eagle Point. Ski at Southern Utah’s newest resort, Eagle Point for just $25 all season long! Located 3.5 hours from Salt Lake City or Las Vegas, this is a great getaway from crowded resorts.