When it comes to kids’ crafts, I like projects they can make and use rather than just make and throw away. During a recent sleepover in my house, I enlisted the help of two kids to try out one of the DIY projects I have bookmarked on Pinterest.
Using fleece fabric left over from winter projects, we made several braided-rope dog pull toys. This was the perfect summer craft for kids. The pull-toys were simple to make (the most difficult part was taking the pictures), cost us nothing, kept the kids engaged and best of all? Our dog loves them.
Here are the instructions, written by one of the kids:
1. First cut your fleece into strips.
2. Secure one end with a safety pin, knot, or rubber band.
3. Next have a friend hold the end with the safety pin while you braid the toy tightly.
4. Take the safety pin out and knot the ends. For a tighter knot have your friend pull one way while you pull the opposite way.
6. Cut a fringe on both ends or leave it as-is.
7. Give as gifts or keep for your dog. And, most important, HAVE FUN :)
Update: We made these toys for our dog years ago, and she loved them. They lasted a long time too, although that might differ depending on how rough your four-legged friends are with their toys.