White Elephant gift exchanges, or as some call them, Yankee Swaps, are about as popular as ugly Christmas sweater parties. Finding the perfect gift can be difficult because there are often a variety of people participating, and you may have to gear the appropriateness around the type of party: office, family, friends, all ages, etc. Some gifts are just recycled year after year because they are just too wacky to use for anything else, while others are fun and functional. If you’re playing Secret Santa, doing a gift grab bag or otherwise shopping for novelties, check out these ideas.
Appropriate for Most (you be the judge)
- Paint Your Own Rubber Duck, $6.99. Include a yummy bottle of bubble bath with this fun gift for all ages.
- Leg Lamp Nightlight, $9.99. It’s fun and fra-gi-lay, and an iconic Christmas memory
- Pokemon Go Gaming Hat, $6.99. Are people still doing this?
- Latex Horse Head Mask, $12.99. So many uses for this!
- Knock Knock Citation Nifty Note Pad, $5-plus, varies. These funny notepads cover a variety of topics from apologies, to pep talk notes, to awesome citations. Just mark the appropriate box for the offender or recipient, and your message will be heard.
- Flingshot Slingshot Flying Screaming Monkey, $6.97 (other options available). Who doesn’t have use for a slingshot monkey screaming through the air? Reviewers love this.
- Inflatable Unicorn Horn, $8.62, paired with Unicorns Are Jerks: a coloring book exposing the cold, hard, sparkly truth, $7.99. Because, unicorns.
- Dashboard Jesus, $6.88, paired with Dancing with Jesus: Featuring a Host of Miraculous Moves, $9.64. Have the man upstairs watch over the recipient while they drive AND teach them dance moves (but not dancing while driving).
- Mr. Bacon’s 2.5 Oz Bacon Flavored Toothpaste, $6.97. For the bacon lover.
- Bacon Soap in Tin, $6.36. More bacon.
- Bacon Lip Balm, $5.55. Even more bacon.
- Food, any sort. From sweet to savory to crazy items (all dill pickle flavored things?), food is always a hit at white elephant parties. 9 quick and easy DIY edible gifts for a crowd
- DIY: Make a white elephant. If you want to be literal, make a elephant from a white towel as your gift. You can always add a bottle of wine or some body wash.
- DIY: Christmas-themed tic tacs with an easy printable. Throw in an ornament or seasonally-scented candle to round it out.
For the Office
- The No Button Says ‘No’ in 10 Different Variations, $9.51. Because sometimes you want to say no when you know you have to say yes.
- The Official BS Button, $7.95. Call it like it is.
- Knock Knock Citation Nifty Note Pad, $6.37. The office citation pad variety is perfect for passive aggressive note-passing. Hopefully, none of the notes find their way to your desk!
- Novelty Push Pins – Nessie, $9.58. When used in a line, they look like the Loch Ness monster.
- Prank Pack Nap Sack, $7.45. This isn’t an actual product, its a box in which you could put anything (a gift card maybe?), but the box will throw everyone off and is perfect for the person who can’t stay awake in meetings! There are a bunch of options of these suggested on the Amazon page.
- Donut Holding Coffee Mug, $14.99. This mug does double duty by holding (and warming) a donut, muffin, or cookie.
- Dinosaurs with Jobs: A Coloring Book, $6.17. Throw in some colored pencils and it’s a great gift for break time
- Kinetic Sand, $14.49 (various prices in stores). A great stress reliever, even for adults!
- DIY: Bottle of Chill Pills. Use this template for a printable label to create a bottle of chill pills. Fill it with M&M’s or Reese’s Pieces, and hope your dramatic office mate gets the hint.
Fun, but Functional
- Socks: If you can read this, bring me a (blank),$5.99 and up. Prop your feet up and hope someone brings you your favorite beverage (beer, wine, vodka, coffee, and pizza are options; may have to scroll down on this page) These ship from overseas, so order ASAP!
- Microwave S’mores Maker, $8.99. Pair it with some graham crackers, marshmallows, Hershey’s bars, and Reese’s Cups so they can make some right away.
- Bacon Wave, Microwave Bacon Cooker, $10.99. Include a couple of packs of bacon and hope they will cook some up right then.
- Big Head Squirrel Feeder, $14.97. Perfect for the nature lover. Think of the funny pictures they can post on IG of squirrels with huge heads. Unicorn option available for $10.99
- State-shaped (or USA-shaped) cutting board, $15 and up. Wrap it up with some cheese or snacks.
- Skull Egg Mold, $7.97. Mornings aren’t for everyone.
- Giant Candy Bars, $9.99. These one-pound candy bars come in several varieties and are available at most stores this time of year. It’s great for a last-minute gift that you know people will fight over.
- Sriracha 2 Go Keychain, $3 an up. Because sometimes you just need spice.
- Pop-Up Hot Dog Toaster, $19.44. Easiest way to enjoy some franks
- Gift cards: yes, it’s boring. But if you forgot to get anything else, grab a gift card and stick it on a bag of candy or cookies or something else you can find in the grocery store. Here are 69-plus gift card bonus offers.
- DIY: Bottle of Bailey’s (if 21 or older), a bag of cocoa mix or coffee, and a snuggly throw blanket
Body & Toilet Humor (not for those who are offended easily)
- Poo-Pourri Before-You-Go Toilet Spray, $9 and up. Everybody goes. You don’t have to smell it. This stuff honestly works.
- Fanny Bank Funny Farting Coin Drop Bank, $14.99.
- Toilet Mug, $12.43. Who’s the biggest potty mouth?
- Weiner Kleener Soap, $8.99. It’s a solution they didn’t know they needed.
- Maybe You Touched Your Genitals Hand Sanitizer, $6.99.
- Funny Toilet Paper, $8 and up. Pair it with some Poo Spray.
- Squatty Potty, $22. It was on “Shark Tank,” so you know it’s legit! People swear by it!
- DIY: Homemade Poo-free spray. Call it Poo Gone. It’s simple: 1 teaspoon rubbing alcohol, 30 to 40 drops of essential oil(s), and water in a small spray bottle.
- Coloring for Grown-Ups: The Adult Activity Book, $7.42. Kids shouldn’t have all the fun.
- 3-Pack Sir Perky Corkscrew/Bottle Stopper/Bottle Opener, $13.99. Throw in a bottle of wine.
- Road Rage Megaphone Adults Only!!!, $11.99. Who couldn’t use this?!
- Accoutrements Emergency Underpants, $5.83. If you’re in a pinch…
- Red Solo Cup Shot Glasses, Set of 4, $9.99. Mini beer pong, anyone?
- Ultimate Wine Bottle Glass, $17.99. “I only had one glass!”
- Cards Against Humanity, $25. This game will get the party started!
- DIY: Ho & Me Mug. If you’re crafty.
What has been your favorite white elephant gift to give or receive?