We think you can be a cheapskate in any city, particularly if you follow our advice.
But Kiplinger has come up with a list of the 10 best cities for cheapskates.
To create the list, Kiplinger looked for places with a low cost of living and relatively high incomes. The editors also looked for places with lots of free things to do. Then they calculated the number of Dollar General stores within a 30-mile radius.
We’re not sure those are the exact criteria we’d apply, but here is Kiplinger’s list with the top must-see freebie for each city:
- St. Louis, Mo.: Forest Park. You can find more suggestions at St. Louis on the Cheap.
- El Paso, Texas: Alfresco! Fridays summer concert series.
- Springfield, Ill.: Lincoln Home National Historic Site
- Kalamazoo, Mich.: All Ears Theater, a live performance series
- Spokane, Wash.: Mount Spokane state park
- San Antonio, Texas: Main Plaza
- Eau Claire, Wis.: Lake Wissota
- South Bend, Ind.: Snite Museum of Art
- Jonesboro, Ark.: Crowley’s Ridge Nature Center
- Wichita, Kan.: Ulrich Museum of Art Check out Wichita on the Cheap for other ideas.
What do you think of this list? What’s the must-see freebie in your city?