Facials are a great way to keep your skin hydrated and glowing. But when the budget won’t allow even a discount spa version, try one of these DIY recipes using fruits and veggies.
(The only ingredient you won’t find in your fridge or cupboard is dry green clay, used in the first facial. You can buy it online for as little as $3 for a one ounce container — enough for many facials.)
Adrian Bryce, founder of Bryce Organic Skin Care, a Boston-based company that uses fresh, 100% certified organic products, recommends an avocado/cucumber mask to deep-clean pores and to firm and moisturize the skin. It’s simple to make and consists of healthy fats and phyto-nutrients in the avocados and a high water content in the cucumbers.
Firming Avocado/Cucumber Masque
- 1 organic avocado, mashed
- 3 teaspoons dry green clay
- ½ organic cucumber, pureed
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl; chill in refrigerator for up to an hour.
- Apply a thick layer on face and allow to dry for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wipe skin clean with warm washcloth, splash with cool water and pat dry.
Here’s another easy and effective facial: the pumpkin face mask, courtesy of Erika Katz, author of Bonding Over Beauty. It’s rich with exfoliating enzymes that brighten the skin, helps reduce lines and wrinkles and maintain skin tissue.
The pumpkin in the mask is rich in Vitamin A, which is healing to the skin. The honey is a humectant (promotes retention of moisture). The cream is a moisturizer, beneficial to flaky skin.
Pumpkin Face Mask
- 2 teaspoons canned pureed pumpkin
- One-half teaspoon honey
- One-quarter teaspoon heavy whipping cream
- Mix all ingredients and apply to face.
- Leave on for 10 minutes and rinse.
- Pat dry.
More effective edibles
When your skin needs a quick pick-me-up and all you have handy is a single banana, just mash it into a creamy paste and apply to your face. Let it set for 10 to 20 minutes, then rinse with cold water and pat dry.
An upgraded version
Add 2 tablespoons of honey and one-quarter cup plain yogurt to the mashed banana. Mix until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined and creamy. Apply to your face. Let the mask set for 10 to 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water and pat dry.