Stores know it’s good for their image to be patriotic. They also know that the military men and women who serve our country are potential shoppers who deserve a break, not just on Veteran’s Day (November 11), but every day of the year.
With millions of men and women defending and aiding our country under difficult conditions, it’s not surprising that retailers, restaurants, service providers, and travel and entertainment companies now offer a wide variety of discounts in gratitude.
Some places post the fact that they offer military discounts, but not all. When in doubt, ask if the store you’re visiting offers a military discount and have your military ID handy, just in case.
Here are some stores that offer year-round military discounts:
- Foot Locker. U.S. active duty military, National Guard, reservists, veterans and their families can get a Foot Locker Veterans Advantage Card and get a 20% discount every day of the year. That offer is good both online and at any store location, including Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction and Champs Sports — even on sale items.
- JCPenney. JCPenney stores nationwide will give military folks 50% off an 8-by-10 family portrait and waive sitting fees. Just show your ID when you arrive for your appointment. Details are online.
- Home Depot. The big-box home improvement store offers a 10% discount (up to a $500 maximum) to all active military, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID. All other veterans qualify for a 10% discount on Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Fourth of July. Available on in-store purchases.
- Lowe’s. Lowe’s home improvement centers have expanded their 10% military discount to a year-round offer for all active duty, National Guard and reservists, retirees and disabled service members and their immediate families. All other veterans receive the 10% discount on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The discount is available on in-stock and special-order purchases of up to $5,000. The offer can’t be used with online sales, on previous sales or on services or gift cards. You must present a valid military I.D. card to receive the discount.
- GMC cars. Need a car? Check on military discounts at local dealers or go online to the GMC site for some hot deals on new cars. They claim to have the best military discount of any car company, and you choose from new Chevrolets, Buicks or GMC vehicles. Active duty, reservists, veterans within one year of discharge date and retirees — including spouses — of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, National Guard and Coast Guard get the discount.
Gift Card Granny lists dozens of discounts for the military. The site has compiled a detailed list of ways to save for veterans, all active branches and, in some instances, the families who stand behind them. Participation may vary by locations, so check first. Discounts are good at nearly 150 such retailers, such as Aeropostale, Cabela’s, Jockey, Kohl’s, Old Navy and Shoe Carnival. They’re also good at some of your favorite restaurants, such as Applebee’s, Carl’s Jr., Chili’s, Dunkin Donuts, Dairy Queen, Golden Corral, Papa Murphy’s, IHOP and many others. There are also discounts fo cars repairs at AutoZone and Meineke, as well as discounts at travel outlets.
Video: How to Get the Best Deals Online
A website called Military Connection also does roundups of current stores and restaurants that offer military discounts. They’ve found you deals at everything from A&W and AutoZone to Disney World and Dollar Car Rental, from Macy’s and Napa Auto Parts to Sea World and Travelodge. The list seems endless.
In military towns like Colorado Springs, where I live, some businesses offer military discounts not offered in cities with a small or no military population. Local stores also advertise military discounts on everything from yoga classes to auto parts. See if your city has a website that collects this data.
If you liked this post, you might also like:
- Cruise discounts for military personnel — and others
- Military families get free annual pass to national parks
- Anheuser-Busch’s free theme park admission for military
- Free, discount golf for military at Marriott
- Send a free photo book to U.S. troops
- Scott offers free family fun pass and discounts