Save on Attractions
With CityPASS booklets, you can save up to 50% on the cost of admission to multiple attractions in select cities. Since there's so much to see in each area, you'll have to make a few choices--though most of the tickets in each CityPASS are only valid for admission at one attraction, others are good for admission to your choice of two attractions. Most CityPASS books are valid for at least nine days, so if you time it right, you'll have two weekends + the weekdays in between to get to everything without feeling rushed, and you can skip most lines.
CityPASS will save you up to 50% on admission to these attractions:
- Atlanta: Georgia Aquarium, World of CocaCola, Inside CNN Studio Tour, High Museum of Art OR Fernbank Museum of Natural History, and Zoo Atlanta OR Atlanta History Center
- Boston: New England Aquarium, Museum of Science, Skywalk Observatory, Museum of Fine Arts Boston, Harvard Museum of Natural History OR The Old State House
- Chicago: Shedd Aquarium, Skydeck Chicago, The Field Museum, Museum of Science and Industry OR John Hancock Observatory, Adler Planetarium OR Art Institute of Chicago
- Hollywood: Madame Tussauds Hollywood, Hollywood Behind-the-Scenes Tour, Starline Movie Stars' Homes Tour OR Starline CitySightseeing Hop-On Hop-Off Tour, Dolby Theatre Guided Tour OR The Hollywood Museum
- Houston: Space Center Houston, Downtown Aquarium, Houston Museum of Natural Science, Houston Zoo or Kemah Boardwalk, Children's Museum of Houston OR Museum of Fine Arts Houston
- New York: Empire State Building Observatory, American Museum of Natural History, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, MoMa (Museum of Modern Art), Top of the Rock OR Guggenheim Museum, Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island OR Circle Line Cruises
- Philadelphia: The Franklin Institute, Phila Tolley & The Big Bus Company, Adventure Aquarium, Philadelphia Zoo OR National Constitution Center, Eastern State Penitentiary OR Please Touch Museum
- San Francisco: Muni & Cable Car 7-Day Passport PLUS Aquarium of the Bay, California Academy of Sciences, Blue & Gold Fleet Bay Cruise, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, Exploratorium OR De Young Museum
- Seattle: Space Needle, Seattle Aquarium, Argosy Cruises Harbor Tour, Pacific Science Center, EMP Museum, Woodland Park Zoo OR THe Museum of Flight
- Southern California: Save on admission to Disneyland Park, Disney California Adventure Park, Sea World San Diego, Universal Studios Hollywood, & the San Diego Zoo or Safari Park.
- Toronto: CN Tower, Royal Ontario Museum, Casa Loma, Toronto Zoo, Ontario Science Centre
Go Cards/Smart Destinations
Want more flexibility with what you see in the city but still want to save? Check out a Go Card. You have two ways to go on the cheap: 1) You can buy an all-inclusive Go Card and see any of the attractions the city has to offer, saving you up to 55% on entrance fees depending on what you see. You can buy anything from a one-day pass to a seven day pass, and the price per day drops as the number of days increases. 2) You can choose the attractions you want to visit and build your own pass, saving you about 25% off the admission price. Go Select passes are valid for up to 30 calendar days from first use. Go Cards are available in the following cities:
- Boston all-inclusive pass: 54 attractions
- Chicago all-inclusive pass: 25 attractions
- Los Angeles all-inclusive pass: 38 attractions
- Miami all-inclusive pass: 35 attractions
- New York City: No all-inclusive pass, but the Explorer pass lets you pick any 3, 5, 7, or 10 attractions from 52 choices
- Oahu all-inclusive pass: 35 attractions
- Orlando all-inclusive pass: 48 attractions
- San Diego all-inclusive pass: 48 attractions
- San Francisco all-inclusive pass: 44 attractions
Save on Theme Parks
Whether you're planning to visit Sea World, Busch Gardens, Six Flags, Discovery Cove, Sesame Place, Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios Orlando or one of the Cedar Fair Parks, you've got a few ways to get in on the cheap. As always, if you live nearby and plan to visit multiple times, your best bet is to buy a season pass. At some parks, like Six Flags, you'll get an extra discount on your season pass if you buy before the park opens for the season.
And don't forget to take advantage of any "Bring a Friend" Days--at some theme parks, passholders can bring a friend for free or at a reduced admission rate on select dates. Since parking fees will add up quickly, at least one member of your party should add season parking to the pass if it's not already included. But if the theme park offers an admission-only pass, like Busch Gardens' Fun Card, you can cut the total cost for buying season passes by carpooling.
Only want to go for the day? Check online before you go. With Busch Gardens Williamsburg, you can save on one-day passes when you buy online, or you can opt for multi-attraction combo passes and save on admission to Busch Gardens, Water Country USA, and Colonial Williamsburg. Discounts at Walt Disney World are harder to find, but we write about the ones we stumble across at Orlando on the Cheap.
Check Our Living On The Cheap Travel Page
Don't forget to check the Living On The Cheap Travel page for extra savings. With the deals, you'll save about 50% on the cost of your room, and many of the travel packages include extras, like a complimentary bottle of wine or free/discount tickets for local attractions. Though the deals change frequently, you'll find everything from quiet bed & breakfasts to hotels located near major attractions. And at times, attractions themselves will show up in the mix, like Nickelodeon Suites and Great Wolf Lodge, giving you a chance to stay and play on the cheap.