Saving money at the box office can be as tricky as a suspense thriller…or full of laughs like a comedy. However, here are 9 ways you can be a superstar saver at the box office. Even those who must see a film on opening weekend can still save a few bucks. The key is to plan ahead and be flexible. You should never pay full-price at the box office or concession stand, so we’re sharing our money-saving tips and tricks with you. Here are our tips for blockbuster savings at Regal Cinemas:
- Regal Crown Club. As a member, you’ll be offered discounts at the concession stand and earn points toward FREE tickets, popcorn and soda. Rewards are awarded for every 50 points earned. On average (for two people), you can earn around 25 points per visit — assuming you visit the concession stand. Plus, members can get 25% off candy every Monday and 50% off popcorn every Tuesday. Membership is FREE.
- Value Days. This discount is a definite blockbuster because it includes new releases — a rarity with most box office promos. The discount and day(s) vary by location, with ticket prices as low as $5. In many markets, it’s the lowest ticket price offered by the chain.
- Value Days Concession Specials. The discount doesn’t just stop at the box office on Value Days. Many locations also offer discounted concession items, including $2 hot dogs and $3 nachos at participating locations.
- Economy Ticket – Regal Cinemas offers an Economy Ticket at participating theaters. The ticket price varies by theater. The deal is only valid before 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday (except holidays.) Plus, the films must have been in release for at least 10 days. IMAX and RPX shows are excluded. However, you can upgrade an Economy Ticket for 3-D films for an additional $3.50.
- Monthly Mobile Coupon. Download Regal Cinemas app for a monthly mobile coupon delivered right to your smartphone on the first day of the month. To date, the coupons have been for savings on concession items, not tickets. No printed coupons are accepted.
- Free Large Refills. Regal Cinemas offers a FREE refill (during the same visit) on a large popcorn. It’s a smart move for budget-conscious families or friends. Why pay for two or three small popcorns, when you can share one for less money? The offer also includes a FREE refill on large sodas, but sharing is bit more complicated.
- AARP Special. It pays to be older at Regal Cinemas. AARP members can save $3 on a small drink and small popcorn combo — around 25% off. Just flash your AARP membership card at the concession stand.
- Matinee Discounts. If you didn’t already know, matinee showtimes (before 4 p.m.) are always cheaper than evening shows — usually by $2 or $3. Plus, as added bonus, there are fewer patrons, so it can be a much more quiet, relaxing experience.
- Senior/Student/Military Discounts. These are not the best discounts, but, if there aren’t better savings available, you can always rely on these good ol’ stand-bys. The discounted tickets are usually a buck or two off regular prices. (Restrictions may apply.) Of course, a proper ID is required for any of the discounts.
Now, you’re ready to write the script on how to save money at the movies — just remember to combine deals for superstar savings. For example, check out a flick on a Tuesday afternoon with an Economy Ticket. Of course, you’ll swipe your Regal Crown Club at the box office to get a $2 small popcorn coupon. It’s even better because both transactions will earn points toward freebies.