Saving money at the box office can be as tricky as a suspense thriller…or full of laughs like a comedy. However, there are 10 ways you can be a superstar saver at the box office. Even those who must see a film on opening weekend can still save a few bucks. The key is to plan ahead and be flexible. You should never pay full-price at the box office or concession stand, so we’re sharing our money-saving tips and tricks with you. Here are our top 10 tips for saving money at Regal Cinemas:
- Regal Crown Club – As a member, you’ll be offered discounts at the concession stand and earn points toward FREE tickets, popcorn and soda. Rewards are awarded for every 50 points earned. On average (for two people), you can earn around 25 points per visit. Plus, members can get candy for $2 every Monday and a small popcorn for $2 every Tuesday. Membership is FREE.
- Value Days – This discount is a definite blockbuster because it includes new releases – a rarity with most box office promos. The discount and day(s) vary by location nationally with ticket prices as low as $5. In many areas, it’s the lowest ticket price you can get.
- Value Days Concession Specials – The discount doesn’t just stop at the box office on Value Days. It continues at the concession stand at participating locations. At some theatres, you can see a blockbuster and have a snack — all for just $7.
- Economy Tickets – Regal Cinemas offers an Economy Ticket at participating theatres for as low as $6. The deal is only valid before 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday (except holidays.) Plus, the films must have been in release for at least 10 days. (IMAX and RPX shows are excluded.) However, you can upgrade an Economy Ticket for 3-D films for an additional $3.50.
- Weekly Mobile Coupons – Regal Cinemas offers a weekly mobile coupon delivered right to your smartphone every Thursday. To date, they’ve offered $3 off any popcorn, any soda or Zap Pack. (The coupon is usually valid through Sunday.) To access the deal, you must “like” them on their Facebook page and enter your mobile number. Then, just show the coupon on your mobile device to get the discount. No printed coupons are accepted.
- Free Large Refills – Regal Cinemas offers a FREE refill (during the same visit) on a large popcorn. It’s a smart move for budget-conscious families or friends. Why pay for two or three small popcorns, when you can share one for less money? The offer also includes a FREE refill on large sodas, but sharing is bit more complicated.
- Everyday Price Perks – Regal Cinemas is offering Everyday Price Perks (for Regal Crown Club members only) at select theatres. Flash your RCC card at the box office and get a discount — up to $1 off, depending on the movie and/or theatre. The savings are on top of any student, senior or military discount. Otherwise, it’s not valid with any other discount or promo.
- AARP Combo Special – It pays to be older at Regal Cinemas. AARP members can get a small drink and small popcorn for just $5.50 — a value of $10.75 (at most locations.) Just flash your AARP membership card at the concession stand.
- Matinee Showtimes – If you didn’t already know, matinee showtimes (typically before 4 p.m.) are always cheaper than evening shows — usually by $2 or $3. Plus, the added bonus is that there are fewer patrons, so it can be a much more quiet, relaxing experience.
- Senior/Student/Military Discounts – These are not the best discounts, but, if there aren’t better savings available, you can always rely on these good ol’ stand-bys. The discounted tickets are usually a buck or two off regular prices. (Restrictions may apply.) Of course, a proper ID is required for any of the discounts.
Now, you’re ready to write the script on how to save money at the movies — just remember to combine deals for superstar savings. For example, check out a flick on a Tuesday afternoon with an Economy Ticket. Of course, you’ll swipe your Regal Crown Club at the box office to get a $2 small popcorn coupon. It’s even better because both transactions will earn you points toward freebies.