National Coffee Day is Saturday, September 29. While the history of National Coffee Day is unclear, here’s what isn’t: Thanks to this caffeine-laden holiday, you can find discounted and free coffee offers all across this great land of ours.
We’ve rounded up information on nine places where you can celebrate National Coffee Day. Frankly, we’re surprised many other coffee chains regionally or nationwide haven’t jumped on the National Coffee Day bandwagon — yes, Starbucks, we’re talking about you. However, if that changes, we’ll be sure to update this post.
- McDonald’s: McDonald’s got a head start on National Coffee Day by declaring it National Coffee Week and offering a free small coffee every day, starting Sunday, September 23. This is apparently available only at East Coast locations. For example, this press release confirms the freebie in the Philadelphia area whereas this article on Boston.com includes a quote from a McDonald’s spokesperson. But even if you’re not on the East Coast, you might want to call your local McDonald’s and ask if it is offering any Coffee Day deals. Some local franchises elsewhere may also have elected to participate.
- Einstein Brothers Bagels: Like McDonald’s, Einstein Brothers Bagel locations are celebrating all things coffee all week long. However, instead of free coffee, you can enjoy 50% off specialty coffee drinks throughout the week. Each day brings a new discounted drink. On Saturday, National Coffee Day, there is a BOGO (buy one get one free) coffee offer for a pumpkin-flavored latte.
- 7-Eleven: 7-Eleven stores are calling Friday, September 28, CofFREE Day at 7-11. Note: this is one day before National Coffee Day. When you stop in at a participating 7-Eleven store between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m. Friday, you’ll receive a free large cup of hot coffee, cappuccino, latte or tea, while supplies last.
- Caribou Coffee: Caribou Coffee locations nationwide are using National Coffee Day to debut Amy’s Blend Coffee, which it will be rolling out in October. At Caribou Coffee, your free coffee is limited to the small size. If you’d like something bigger, you’ll have to pay for it — but not much: 50 cents for a medium and $1 for a large. Here are the details on Caribou Coffee’s National Coffee Day deal.
- Kangaroo Express: The Kangaroo Express convenience store chain — it’s in 13 Southern states — will sell its Bean Street-brand coffee for a penny on National Coffee Day. That’s a penny for a 12-ounce cup of coffee. Hey, that’s practically free!
- Krispy Kreme: There is no coupon necessary for Krispy Kreme’s National Coffee Day offer. Just show up on Saturday, September 29, and you’ll get a free 12-ounce cup of coffee. In addition, when you visit you’ll have the chance to enter to win free coffee for a year.
- SavOn Stores: It’s not technically a National Coffee Day deal, but it’s still a way to get free coffee from SavOn Stores, the convenience store chain in the upstate New York area: Every Monday morning through October 29, teachers can receive a free cup of coffee. (ID required.)
- Tim Hortons: Tim Hortons, a cafe and bake shop that started in Canada and now has more than 700 locations in the United States, has a simple free coffee deal: “Like” the cafe on Facebook, and you’ll be able to print out a coupon for a free cup of coffee, when you buy a cup of coffee, on Saturday, September 29.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: This coupon from Dunkin’ Donuts lets you get a 10-ounce hot latte or 16-ounce iced latte for 99 cents through Sept. 30. These drinks normally start at $1.99, so there are definitely some savings there, even if it isn’t specifically tied into National Coffee Day.
With all of these offers, you should be plenty caffeinated by the end of the weekend!